Saturday, December 09, 2006

I live in a block of flats, which is pretty normal around here. It's actually a converted hotel. When I first lived in St Kilda it was a run down old boarding house, then it became a squat full of drug dealers and takers. Then it was added to and converted to flats. So I've contributed to the gentrification of St Kilda just by living here I guess.

But next door is a hostel run by a community housing society. and in the hostel there was a lady whom I never saw, but I heard her frequently. She had the habit of, occasionally, conducting long, bitter and very loud arguments with someone who was not there. This didn't happen every day, or even every week. Maybe once a month, sometimes less often. It was annoying, but that's all. she had been there longer than I've lived in the flats, so at least five years.

Then I heard that other residents in my flats had taken up a petition to have
Robin removed from the hostel. I rang the housing society and was told yes, that had happened. Furthermore, they had enlisted the aid of councillors and members of parliament who had added their voices to the demands that Robin must go. I said that that was not my opinion at all, but it was obvious that I was outnumbered. I heard last week that Robin has gone. Where? I don't know. I asked the petition signers. They don't know either, and they don't care, just so long as their delicate ears are no longer assailed by her despair and distress at the way life has dealt with her. They were amazed at my suggestion that Robin too was entitled to her home. But, they said, she was crazy.

I never know when to keep my mouth shut, so I suggested to these ladies that anybody who chooses to live in St Kilda should be aware that there are drug addicts, street kids, prostitutes and a variety of other troubled and damaged people on the streets. So why do they come? Do they not know this? One explained. "But," she said, "this is the most expensive part of St Kilda." No, actually, it's not. But the connection eludes me anyway.

Wherever you are Robin, I hope your neighbours are kinder than the ones you had here.

5 comments:

Arty said...

I just noticed that big old boarding house in Grey St is up for sale. Do you think the residents are being offered better, newer accomodation?

I gave an awful lot of coffee and conversation to men from the boarding house in St Leonards Ave while I was at Theatreworks - I don't think that's there any more either.

When we first lived in St Kilda we used to get the occasional Safeway voucher from the Salvation Army and despite all these disadvantaged people being pushed out, I bet they're as busy now as they were then.

Zoe said...

A beautifully told story about horrible selfish people.

Meredith Jones said...

Sometimes I think people are just rotten at heart. A lovely post, thank you.

Meredith Jones said...

I moved that comment because you've got the same post twice.

Drewzel said...

What is happening to the world? Surely people still have a right to be crazy. When I lived in St Kilda, the people from the Special Accom house up the road used to have weekly joy in going through the bins for treasure. And there was one old guy who'd always ask you for a smoke, every day. All harmless. I lived in about 5 different lots of flats around St Kilda and was never bothered by the crazies or anyone else.
I sorta miss it all now, now that I'm way out in the 'burbs.